Next year Ethereum is going to release a massive update which will initiate improvements in network speed and scalability. But there’s still a long way to the Ethereum 2.0 blockchain and it will probably take several years to get there. What does the future hold for Ethereum and what will the ETH price be in five years? Learn in our Ethereum price prediction for 2019, 2020 and 2025.
What is Ethereum
Ethereum is a platform for launching decentralized open source applications (Decentralized applications, or DApps) using blockchain and smart contracts. DApps are used where it is necessary to transfer stores of digital value – money, documents, registry entries, data, etc. with minimal costs and without the participation of third parties.
The platform has a utility currency: Ethereum or Ether, for short - ETH. It is the "fuel" for creating and deploying DAaps on the Ethereum framework. In addition, ETH can be sometimes used as a means of payment. In this role, the token performs the same function as other cryptocurrencies.
Ethereum value for the industry
Previously, cryptocurrencies were designed to be payment systems that could replace fiat money. Ethereum changed this paradigm and offered something completely new. Ether opened up more opportunities for the development of blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies.
The idea behind Ethereum was to create a decentralized global computer with no leader or boss controlling the applications, your data, etc. According to Vitalik Buterin, Ethereum is the new Internet, with all its capabilities and unlimited prospects.
- Smart contracts – support transactions and guarantee compliance with all the contract terms and agreements in place in a digital environment. The first ideas of the technology were proposed by Nick Szabo back in 1997 and some of the principles were created in the first BTC protocol. But Buterin popularised smart contracts and made them widespread.
- DApps – smart contracts let developers create and publish applications in the Ethereum network without censorship or third-party participation. Additionally, DApps are more stable as they are incapable of shutting down unless all nodes are offline (which is highly unlikely)
- ICOs – Ethereum started a big boom in initial coin offerings in which everyone could create their own cryptocurrency and use it to fund their projects. Of course, this has attracted a lot of scams but at the same time, it has laid out the path for considerable cryptocurrency projects like EOS and TRON to come to life.
Ethereum became really popular with large companies like Microsoft and Amazon. They implement Ethereum’s protocol allowing users to create and manage blockchains through their cloud computing blockchain-as-a-service platforms — i.e., Microsoft Azure and Amazon Managed Blockchain.
Ethereum price history analysis
According to Etherscan.io, the first preserved data about the price of Ethereum is dated back to 7 August 2015. That day Kraken supported Ether and listed on the exchange priced $2.77 per coin. That year the new digital asset experienced sharp price fluctuations and dropped to $0.5 because early contributors were actively selling it.
More and more crypto enthusiasts started learning about Ether. A particularly significant contribution to its popularization was made by the Devcon-1 developer conference, which was held from November 9 to 13. It actively discussed the development path of Ethereum in the presence of representatives of IBM, Microsoft and UBS. As a result, the coin settled around $1 price point.
In January 2016, Ether started growing exponentially and hit a price peak in March at $15. The growth was supported by the release of a new protocol version of Homestead. But the next day, the price went down two times lower because of the Ethereum hardfork. For several months Ethereum’s price fluctuated from $8 to $14. In September, the Ledger Nano S hardware wallet added Ethereum to its list of supported assets – thus helping the coin to reach the $15 rate.
On September 22, Ethereum suffered from a DDoS attack and the network slowed down. This led to a long descending trend which lasted till December. By the end of 2016, the exchange rate of ETH settled around $7-9.
2017 was a bullish year for Ether – the coin made a solid run on $23 in the first two months. In March ETH pumped to $53 and then in the next month it rose to $95. Another price push was triggered by a listing on Avantrade exchange. As a result, the coin reached $400 in June. This lasted until mid-November, when the Ethereum rate settled in the $270-350 price range.
Meanwhile, during the same time period Bitcoin was gaining momentum and reached its ATH of $20,000. Ethereum followed in Bitcoin’s footsteps and rose to its own high of $1,400 in January 2018. On January 8, the price of Ethereum made another leap upward to touch the $1250 mark before falling into a rapid correction. The subsequent developments regarding the rate of Ether were mainly reactionary mirrorings of that of Bitcoin, which saw it spinning its tires in a bearish trend all year long. As a result, Ethereum ended the year just above $130 price mark.
At the beginning of 2019, Ethereum was traded between $100-140. The first uptrend appeared in April. Ether, following the price of Bitcoin, started gradually growing and in June reached $300. However, ETH couldn’t hold these positions and started going back to its previous price marks.
What will drive the future price of ETH
The main issues that people bring up when talking about Ethereum are its low transaction speed and scalability. You probably remember that when Crypto Kitties caused a high overload on the Ethereum network nobody could make a transaction. To solve these problems Buterin plans to create Ethereum 2.0.
The launch of Ethereum 2.0 will be in January 2020 and will follow a roadmap divided into 7 stages. Some of them are still in research status without clear technical specifications. So the full deployment will take several years.
- Phase 0: PoS beacon chain without shards
- Phase 1: Basic sharding without EVM
- Phase 2: EVM state transition function
- Phase 3: Light client state protocol
- Phase 4: Cross-shard transactions
- Phase 5: Tight coupling with main chain security
- Phase 6: Super-quadratic or exponential sharding
“Ethereum 1.0 is a couple of people’s scrappy attempt to build the world computer; Ethereum 2.0 will actually be the world computer.” — Vitalik Buterin
The main features will be implemented in the nearest future and include two important things:
- Transfering the Ethereum blockchain to a Proof-of-Stake algorithm, which does not require large expenditures of computing power and electricity to work.
- The introduction of sharding. Its essence is to create a huge number of parallel blockchains that independently process transactions, but at the same time are connected by a common network and history of operations.
The future price of the asset will depend on the success of this initiative. The ambitions are big and the risk of failure is high. It is unclear how the market and community will respond to the update and whether the dev team will manage to fulfill their work plan.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction
Ethereum price prediction for 2019, 2020, 2024 by WalletInvestor
WalletInvestor has a positive long term forecast for ETH. By the end of 2019, the coin will grow to $135. The next year Ethereum will be traded between $183 and $363 – by the end of the year Ether will cost $338. 2021 will be a bit of a bearish year, but ETH will manage to return to its previous positions. For the next two years, the coin will gradually grow. But in 2024, they have Ethereum falling from $450 to $363.
Ethereum price forecast for 2019, 2020, 2022 by TradingBeasts
TradingBeasts forecasts a positive future for Ethereum. In December 2019, Ethereum will cost about $136. In 2020 they have the coin dropping from $133 to $126 until August. By the end of 2020, Ethereum will reach $135. For the next two years, Ether will experience steady growth and will reach $260 in 2022.
Ether price prediction for 2019, 2020, 2025 by DigitalCoinPrice
According to DigitalCoinPrice, Ethereum will cost $150 at the end of this year and then gradually grow to $569.28 over the next five:
- In 2020 – $160
- In 2021 – $270
- In 2022 – $317
- In 2023 – $425
- In 2024 – $401
- In 2025 – $515
ETH price prediction for 2019, 2020, 2023 by LongForecast
LongForecast gives a quite moderate price outlook for Ethereum. This December, Ether will cost only $128 and from there it will descend till May 2020. Later the coin will start gaining momentum and reach $150 in October. Starting around November 2020, ETH will be bearish and fall to $107 by year end. 2021 will be a bad year for Ethereum and the price will fall to $66. The next year, the coin will rebound to reach $133 in September before ending up around $87. 2024 will be more fruitful as they have ETH costing $154 by the end of the year.
Ethereum future price sum-up
Future price projections for Ethereum are generally pretty positive. They may vary in the specific numbers but most everyone agrees that ETH is a good long-term asset. This is understandable as Ethereum is the second-largest cryptocurrency in the world and has grabbed the attention of Microsoft, IBM, Amazon, etc. Despite some of its competitors being faster and more scalable, Ethereum still manages to hold first place in the amount of Dapps it hosts. The community is waiting for the next update which should improve the network and solve speed and capacity problems.
Ethereum on Freewallet
Ethereum is available on Freewallet: Crypto Wallet for your Android and IOS devices and desktop via the web app.
- Manage ETH and 150+ other cryptocurrencies in one place.
- Buy Ethereum right in the wallet with your credit card.
- Seamlessly exchange coins with other cryptocurrencies right in the wallet.
- Make free transactions with other Freewallet users.
- Check the exchange rate of digital currencies in the wallet.
- Protect your money with advanced security protection including 2FA, multisig, and transaction limits. The majority of assets are kept in cold storage, ensuring that your coins won’t be lost or stolen.
Feel free to sign-up with your Facebook, Gmail, email, or mobile number and try Freewallet.
Disclaimer: This article should not be considered financial advice and serves only as informative material. The cryptocurrency market is subject to high volatility and regulatory uncertainty. You should do a substantial amount of research before engaging in financial activities with cryptocurrencies.
- What makes a picture cringeworthy
- What is ThermoFight X
- What measures an effective education system
- Difference betwen I++ and ++I operator
- What really happened on skinwalker ranch
- Is urban culture America s culture now
- Whos the biggest enemy of Bhutan
- Does Amos Yee support socialism Why
- Is Selena Gomez hot to you
- What are the uses of waste land
- How do calculators simplify expressions
- What ended the Thirty Years War
- Can Belgium win the Euro 2020
- What is aspiration in life
- What do Ukrainians think of China
- Does smoking affect orgasm intensity in men
- Did Germany invade Spain
- How does honey work to lighten hair