Why was the tv series Farscape cancelled

I know why Farscape was cancelled!

Today, as I was walking along 42d street in NYC, I've seen a poster proclaiming "Odyssey 5 on Sci-Friday at 10". Does the time sound familiar? My thoughts exactly.

Actually, It all makes sense. SFC has been saying for quite some time now that they are moving away from space-based shows. They axed Lexx, and moved B5 to 5 p.m. Now they axed Farscape, another space-based show.

So, the sci-fi channel execs are not insane, merely incompetent.

But it could have been worse. It could have really been John Edwards.

I'm sure we'll all watch Odyssey 5 now, right?
Originally posted by fgalkin
Today, as I was walking along 42d street in NYC, I've seen a poster proclaiming "Odyssey 5 on Sci-Friday at 10". Does the time sound familiar? My thoughts exactly.

Actually, It all makes sense. SFC has been saying for quite some time now that they are moving away from space-based shows. They axed Lexx, and moved B5 to 5 p.m. Now they axed Farscape, another space-based show.

So, the sci-fi channel execs are not insane, merely incompetent.

But it could have been worse. It could have really been John Edwards.

I'm sure we'll all watch Odyssey 5 now, right?
Odyssey 5 is on Showtime at 10pm on friday. It is not on the Sci-Fi channel.
So what is the SFC moving on to then? Pornography?

And if they're 'moving away from space-based shows', why the fuck did they go and buy up the rights to show Star Trek TOS? I would have LOVED to be able to watch it on the local broadcast station now that I can stay up late but no, SFC took away TOS.

Hell, TOS was the top-rated show on the local station ever since it started syndication!
Originally posted by Deathbringer
Let me clarify:

Could someone please tell me wtf Odyssey 5 is?
It's a TV show. It's on Showtime. IIRC, the plot is that a group of astronauts go on a misson. While they are in space, the Earth self-destructs. However, somehow they time travel back, and try to prevent it from happening. I've never watched it, but ppl. who did say it's good. I thought that maybe it's moving to Sci-fi. Obviously I was wrong.
Originally posted by Deathbringer
Let me clarify:

Could someone please tell me wtf Odyssey 5 is?
Odyssey 5, sci-fi show premiered on Showtime a couple of months ago. The Premise is the Earth is destroyed, the only survivors being 5 astronauts in a space shuttle. The shuttle is captured by an alien being who explains that some other alien race somehow destroyed the earth, just as they destroyed his home world. This alien has been tracking the planet destroying ones for several years, and this is the closest he has come to them. He then, with the semi-approval of the astronauts, sends them back in time, 5 years I believe, on Earth. The astronauts are basically sent back in time 5 years to how they were physically at that time, age and health, but they have all the memories of what happened. They are trying to uncover the alien conspiracy and stop the destruction of the earth. Here is the official website.

http://www.sho.com/o5/

I have only seen the premiere episode. The show seemed interesting and has some promise.
Originally posted by fgalkin

It's a TV show. It's on Showtime. IIRC, the plot is that a group of astronauts go on a misson. While they are in space, the Earth self-destructs. However, somehow they time travel back, and try to prevent it from happening. I've never watched it, but ppl. who did say it's good. I thought that maybe it's moving to Sci-fi. Obviously I was wrong.
i can see how you could of gotten confused
Showtime has Jeremaih and Oddesy 5 as there line up for "Sci-friday" which coincidently airs on friday p

as for the sci-fi channel they air StarGate and until recently Farscape as there line up for "Sci-Fi friday"

also Sci-Fi didnt really cancel Farscape. it was the parent company of Henson (a german company IIRC) that pulled the plug on there involvement in the show. without the support of Henson Sci-Fi could not afford to the run the show and was forced to not sign on Farscape for season 5

Sh33p

Resident Humanitarian
Originally posted by fgalkin

Eww, cannibals.

"Kill, him, my evil henchmen!"
*ben is shot dead, russian style*
*The Yakuza kill fgalkin`s henchmen. Then the American mafia makes sure he becomes part of the scenery. Of a concrete bridge.*


Revenge from beyond :D
Actually it is all sci fi's fault. They wanted to make Farscape for less each episode and the company who makes it couldent afford to so Sci fi pulled the plug.
The German company you speak of WAS NOT responsible for Farscapes cancellation. It was Sci-fi channel itself. The Hensons Parent companies are involved in more then just Farscape, do Muppets Movies and Seseame Street ring any bells.

I didn't really bother saying anything in other threads because the news and the exact causes of the Farscape cancellation were told to all the relative press at about the same time the Australian Crews found out (namely ME - in fact we weren't sure we could believe it). So I would just be repeating more eloquent news.

I know I should be pissed off and all that, but business is business and I already have alot of other films and TV shows to make. And to be honest many of those other things us Aussie crews are doing looks far better on my Resume then a show that doesn't even get air time here anymore.

Oh BTW I think I am on the 'Behind the scenes' stuff in the Season One Box set for Farscape. I haven't seen the stuff yet so I can't be sure so look out for the Special Effects guys in the 'making of' features.

Teelie

Reincarnated as a monkey
They wanted to do it for less money because they were getting less ratings. That's how every TV show works, the more popular you are, the more money you get and the opposite when you aren't doing good.
Farscape failed to get more viewers in and failed to keep it's current viewers. My best guess is it was getting too confusing and "out there" especially to those who start in the series later on. I started to watch it a few weeks back and much of it was confusing, then came the "repeater" episode and thinking about Sci Fi's reasoning, eps like that and the last one are what kept fans from getting into it.
I still think it should've been given a chance to become more fan friendly but Sci fi felt otherwise.
42nd street? The fact that you were within 10 minutes drive of my house, and on the same island, is a scary thought...