Why do you work in therapeutic recreation

Careers in TR

Recreation Therapist
Director of Therapeutic Recreation
Activity Therapy
Adjunct Therapies
Senior Citizen Programmer
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Supervisor
Clinical Specialist
Health care Consultant
Senior Therapist

For Therapeutic Recreation Certification Standard

The academic path to become certified as a CTRS (Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist) requires a major in recreation or leisure with an option in therapeutic recreation.  A minimum of 18 semester hours of therapeutic recreation and general recreation content coursework with no less than a minimum of 9 semester hours in therapeutic recreation content.  Supportive courses to include a total of 18 semester hours of support coursework in the content area of anatomy and physiology, abnormal psychology and human growth and development across the lifespan. (see page 6 of certification standards)  There are other paths explained.

National Council of Therapeutic  Certification Standards  See your advisor in the Recreation Management Office for more information on a path so you can sit for the test to become a CTRS.