Mangosteen is often known as the queen of tropical trees because it produces some of the most delicious and sweet fruit in the world. Learning how to grow mangosteen fruit is actually pretty easy as long as you have the right climate – tropical or subtropical is needed. The mangosteen fruit is native to southeast Asian countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Burma, and the Philippines.
How to Grow Mangosteen
The mangosteen tree needs warm weather – tropical or subtropical climate is needed.
- Prepare your soil with a soil mix of either sand loam or clay base, topsoil, and compost. Plan to plant your mangosteen tree in a shady area.
- Allow the soil to naturally weather before you plant.
- Purchase mangosteen seeds from your local nursery or online. Before planting, wrap the seeds in pre-moistened paper towels with cold water.
- Place the wrapped seeds in a container or a bag in the refrigerator.
- Once you’re ready to plant, remove the seeds from the refrigerator and soak them in water for at least 24 hours.
- After they’ve been soaked, place them in the soil mix in a small pot. Make sure the pot has good drainage holes.
- Place the seed in the soil (about 1 inch deep), and cover with some soil.
- Water the soil so that it is saturated and place the pot in an area that will receive at least 12 hours of sunlight a day.
- Before transplanting outdoors or to a bigger pot, wait at least 30 days for the seeds to fertilize.
- If growing multiple trees, place them at least 35-40 feet apart.
- Keep in partial shade, and water regularly.
Caring for Mangosteen Trees:
- Apply a fertilizer every 3 months. Use 0.5 pounds in the first year, 1 pound during years 2-4, and 2 pounds for 5 years and above.
- Water regularly.
Harvesting Mangosteen Fruit:
- The mangosteen tree will start bearing fruit anywhere from 5 to 9 years.
- You’ll know the fruit is ripe when when it is a round shape and has 4-8 triangle rosettes on top.
- The fruit will be dark purple on the outside and white and soft on the inside.
So now that you know how to grow mangosteen, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get to planting!
- How do people learn organizational behavior
- Who likes to smoke cannabis and why
- Would you use Firebase for your startup
- Should I avoid eating roasted nuts
- Should I wear this dress to prom
- Why do companies fail?no_redirect=1
- What is Just Flowers delivery policy
- How is the Glendale International School Hyderabad
- Do white girls struggle
- What should I eat before lifting weights
- What is the largest military ground vehicle
- Should I just let her go
- Who is Laurence Bedard
- Can the attorney general be disbarred
- What does onanism mean