Britain has a new highest mountain after satellite data showed a remote peak is 400 metres taller than previously thought.
Mount Hope in the British Antarctic Territory was recently remeasured and found to be 377 metres (1,237 ft) taller then land surveys by polar explorers once estimated.
This makes it more than twice as tall as Ben Nevis, which is mainland Britain’s highest peak at 1,345 metres (4,411ft).
Until now, our tallest mountain was thought to be Mount Jackson, which is 3,239 metres (10,654 ft) high.
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) said the discovery was made during surveys to update maps.
Adrian Fox, head of mapping and geographic information at BAS, said: ‘This is an exciting discovery within the British Antarctic Territory.
‘Modern satellite data highlights how inaccurate previous surveys and maps were for some parts of the region,’ he said.
‘As well as discovering Mount Hope is the highest mountain in the territory, we have identified several other interesting discoveries.
‘These include new mountain heights, ranges in new locations by up to five kilometres and even some new peaks which hadn’t been surveyed before.’
Fox said the new survey was carried out to ensure the safety of flights passing through the region.
‘Maps with reliable measurements of the highest peaks are an essential safety requirement for flight planning,’ he added.
‘Accurate elevation data from satellite imagery now allows us to produce these resources for Antarctica, where flying is difficult at the best of times.’
The tallest mountain in the Antarctic is Mount Vinson – which is not part of the British Antarctic Territory – at 4,892 m (16,050 ft).
Foreign Office Minister with responsibility for the Polar Regions, Sir Alan Duncan, said: ‘The discovery of Mount Hope as the UK’s tallest peak is a great example of British science making big steps forward in mapping techniques to help us get a better understanding of this fascinating region.’
- What web server does Jenkins use
- What is Emaar The Privilege
- Which restaurants no longer accept cash
- What is the most powerful reducing agent
- Which albums from bts are mini albums
- What does ?????? ???? mean in Arabic
- How did medieval blacksmiths acquire metal
- Why are some people called blue bloods
- Who proved that the Earth is round?no_redirect=1
- What is mans animal nature
- Are Geico and Progressive the same company
- Is Jomso a good site for shopping
- What is D in C programming 1
- Give an example of statistical quality control
- Are all Nobel prize winner books sad