[ en-dev-er ]
/ ɛnˈdɛv ər /
SEE SYNONYMS FOR endeavor ON THESAURUS.COM
verb (used without object)
to exert oneself to do or effect something; make an effort; strive: We must constantly endeavor if we are to succeed.
verb (used with object)
to attempt; try: He endeavors to keep things neat in his apartment.
Archaic. to attempt to achieve or gain.
a strenuous effort; attempt.
Words nearby endeavor
endbrain, endcap, endear, endearing, endearment, endeavor, endeavour, endecott, endemic, endemic hematuria, endemic neuritis
Also especially British, en·deav·our.
Origin of endeavor
1350–1400;Middle Englishendeveren, from the phrase putten in devoir to make an effort, assume responsibility; compare Anglo-Frenchse mettre en deveir. See en-1, devoir
OTHER WORDS FROM endeavoren·deav·or·er; especially British, en·deav·our·er, nounpre·en·deav·or, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Examples from the Web for endeavor
He stops after a second, looks around him and laughs, apparently realizing the absurdity of the endeavor.
The Walking Dead’s Midseason Finale Shocker: A Cherished Character Meets a Grisly End|Melissa Leon|December 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Looking back, our readers gave us all the faith we needed to pursue this endeavor.
Motherless Daughters and Parentless Parents Trek to the Andes to Aid Orphans|Allison Gilbert|August 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Critical to this endeavor is the drumroll of hell-fire sermons from the tub-thumpers of talk radio and Fox News.
The Tea Party Isn’t a Political Movement, It’s a Religious One|Jack Schwartz|July 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
If he is successful in that endeavor, John Kasich could be the most formidable 2016 GOP candidate you do not know—yet.
Is John Kasich The Most Formidable 2016 GOP Candidate You Don’t Know?|Myra Adams|April 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Words related to endeavor
undertaking, aim, struggle, venture, enterprise, effort, aspire, undertake, strive, essay, whirl, lick, shot, toil, exertion, fling, work, header, labor, try
- How can I love myself every day
- What special skills do investment bankers have
- Does everyone use Google to check everything
- Was Hitler against Pentecostalism
- Is there any compulsory attendence in nsit
- How does laser scar removal work
- Can starving yourself cause stillbirth
- Can patients on a ventilator smell
- When is therapy ineffective
- Why are there no black country musicians
- What exactly is Vampire Knight
- How long should you fry sausages
- How do you make homemade pancakes
- How do I make a Dado cut
- What was the Red Army
- What is classification in data engineering
- When did you feel the most pathetic