Note: a few chapters of the books Ezra (ch. 4:8-6:18; 7:12-26) and Daniel (ch. 2:4 to 7:28), one verse in Jeremiah (ch. 10:11, and a word in Genesis (ch. 31:47) are written, not in ancient Hebrew, but in Aramaic. Aramaic is about as closely related to Hebrew as Spanish is to Portuguese. However, the differences between Aramaic and Hebrew are not those of dialect, and the two are regarded as two separate languages.
How was the KJV translated?
Here is how the KJV came about: 54 college professors, preachers, deans and bishops ranging in ages from 27 to 73 were engaged in the project of translating the KJV. To work on their masterpiece, these men were divided into six panels: two at Oxford, two at Cambridge, two at Westminster. Each panel concentrated on one portion of the Bible, and each scholar in the panel was assigned portions to translate. As guides the scholars used a Hebrew Text of the Old Testament, a Greek text for the New. Some Aramaic was used in each. They consulted translations in Chaldean, Latin, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch. And, of course, they used earlier English Bibles—at least six, including William Tyndale's New Testament, the first to be printed in English. So what language did they use? Every language that was available to them.
History of Bible translations
The first translation of the English Bible was initiated by John Wycliffe and completed by John Purvey in 1388. The first American edition of the Bible was probably published before 1752.
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
- Why should I study Neuroscience
- Why do businesses discontinue popular items
- How do you say skip in Arabic
- Why should small businesses embrace technology
- What do you know about Mesopotamia
- What is the meaning of alexa
- How does Champagne differ from sparkling wine
- What is the com domain used for
- How do you say fellow in French
- How hard it is to forge money
- What is the colour of rain
- How will DRAM prices fluctuate in 2019
- What are ammonia tablets used for
- What is considered an exotic pet
- Whats a bastard cut in roof framing
- Is Saudi Arabia a rape capital