Re: Minor Child born in India can hold Dual Passports
Postby secret.simon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Children born with dual Indian/other citizenship are allowed to hold both citizenships until the age of 18, when they must choose one.
So this applies to
a) the child of a foreign parent and an Indian parent born in India
b) in the case of the UK, a child born to an Indian citizen holding ILR at the time of birth of the child
However, children who acquire another citizenship after birth, such as by registration in the UK after their parent gets ILR, lose their Indian citizenship automatically on acquisition of another citizenship.
Also, note that even an Indian citizen with dual citizenship at birth loses his Indian citizenship if he acquires a non-Indian passport.
In simple terms, an Indian citizen born with multiple citizenship can retain those multiple citizenships either until the age of 21 OR until the acquisition of a non-Indian passport.
An Indian citizen cannot have a non-Indian passport.
So, a dual Indian-British citizen would lose his Indian citizenship if he applies for a British passport. Such a citizen would be advised to apply for a CoE-RoA, which allows the holder free entry and exit from the UK, but does not give any rights in the EU.
Last edited by secret.simon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.
- Is MD pathology difficult
- What does HICOMMAND mean in Indian politics
- What makes the EU non democratic
- What is your dominant chakra
- Is gender identity a real thing
- When will Turkey leave Northern Cyprus
- Can you provide a neater Circuit Diagram
- What is NAB in Pakistan
- Can sharding be applied to Bitcoin
- What is new technology in web design
- Should I invest in the Ujjivan IPO
- What ever happened to VHS tapes
- How does English to Japanese translation work
- What are the best pre school activities
- What was Chitraang Murdias SAT score
- What is the advantage of using Bitly
- How can Bitcoin protect its consumers 1
- How do we solve x 25 5x
- Is Delhi pollution more harmful than cigarettes