Think one boss is enough? Some companies have two or even three people serving as CEO.
Whole Foods announced on Wednesday it would eliminate its co-CEO structure by the end of the year, as the grocer reported a disappointing 2.6 percent drop in sales for the fourth quarter.
While the arrangement isn't widespread, there are a number of tech companies, including Samsung, Huawei and Oracle that operate with several head honchos.
Byers Market Newsletter
Get breaking news and insider analysis on the rapidly changing world of media and technology right to your inbox.
Related: Most Millennials Want to Be Like Zuckerberg: Work Flexible Hours, Call the Shots
As Whole Foods looks to stabilize in 2017, Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy told NBC News the arrangement of having multiple CEOs "is hard to get right."
"You have to have some accommodating personalities," Moorhead said.
At Huawei, a Chinese smartphone maker, three people share the job of chief executive, with a new member of the trio being tapped to take over every six months.
The move essentially keeps the company on its toes, Moorhead said, and allows the other CEOs to dig deeper into certain areas of the company — whether that be through new projects or ironing out inefficiencies.
"It is important to know who is making what decisions for this to work," Moorhead said. "The plus is that you have somebody with the highest degree of energy if you rotate it. Being a leader of such a large company takes an incredible amount of energy."
Alyssa Newcomb is an NBC News contributor who writes about business and technology.
- What does the word incognate mean
- How do I perform the vajra meditation
- What was Obamas GPA at Occidental
- Is G silent in ING words
- How do you say whistle in Arabic
- Where does George Soros come from
- What makes you wish you were gay
- Was Sabarimala a tribal temple
- Why has God made life a mystery
- What are BLONKs Blackpink
- How often do people move
- How often do you switch mortgages
- Why are kangaroos so strong
- Which Porsche back is the best
- What distinguishes good research from questionable research
- Should I practice dribbling
- What is secondary standard solution